Skip to main content

tv   CNN Newsroom With Carol Costello  CNN  September 17, 2015 6:00am-8:01am PDT

6:00 am
being human, you know. >> and cutting the lawn. >> how about that. great stuff. complements of alabama. >> that's great michaela. thanks so much for that and we'll look forward to seeing you back in new york tomorrow morning. it's been a very interesting 24 hours out here in the sim valley in the reagan library. >> right back to the newsroom with miss carol costello. >> newsroom starts now. >> this is about the character of our nation. >> you have to speak english. >> one thing i know for sure, he kept us safe. >> short, tall, fat, ugly. my goodness, that happened in junior high. >> they could care less about your careers. >> more energy tonight, i like that. good morning. thank you for joining me. donald trump tones it down and
6:01 am
most of his gop rivals step it up. together they target the front runner in the debate but no one seemed to seize control and score the points like carly fiorina. on this morning after she says americans should take notice. >> i hope it is pretty clear that i am a fighter. i have also been the most vocal critic of hillary clinton on the campaign trail, presumably the democrat party's nominee. this is going to be a fight. this is an important election. and we're going to have a fight about really important principles and really important policies and really important differences. and so if you can't fight on a debate stage, then you are not going to be able to stand up and fight for the american people. and the american people are looking for a fighter because they know this is a pivotal time in our nation's history. they know these are important issues. so yeah i'm prepared to fight. >> it is the second strong debate performance for fiorina and this may be a first for the
6:02 am
donald. today he gives strong marks to most of his rival, especially fiorina. >> carly did very well and i thought she did well too but i didn't see it as standout like you did but maybe it is a different perspective. and of course i was being hit 15 different ways. everything i've ever said about the woman i got hit on that show. but i think she did well. >> cnn's john burman joins us live from the presidential library in simi valley california. good morning. >> i don't know if you can see all the smoke rising from the battlefield all around me right now. what a debate. eleven candidates on the main stage, all going after each other. all fighting for time. all trying to hammer their points through so they can breakthrough to the top tier. from nearly the minute the debate started donald trump was the man in the middle, the
6:03 am
middle of a pile on. >> his visceral response to attack people on their appearance. short, tall, fat, ugly. my goodness, that happened in junior high. >> i never attacked him on his look and believe me there is plenty of subject matter right there. that i can tell you. >> there was trump v. paul, trump v. fiorina about the rolling stone article where he talked about her face. >> i think the women all around this country heard very clearly what mr. trump said. >> i think she's got a beautiful face and i think she's a beautiful woman. >> no she did not seem impressed. nor was jeb, in trump v bush. the subject, remarks trump once made accusing bush of being soft on immigration because his wife was worn in mexico. >> i hope you apologize for that. >> i hear phenomenal things. i hear you wife is a lovely woman -- >> she's absolutely the love of my life and she's right here.
6:04 am
and why don't you apologize for her right now. >> i went to that but i think he's a lovely woman. >> -- to get in the game. >> marco rubio flashed passion and knowledge on foreign policy. >> the number one issue that a president will ever confront and the most important obligation that the federal government has is to keep this nation safe. and today we are not doing that. we are eviscerating our military and we have a president that is more respectful to the ayatollah in iran than he is to the prime minister of israel. >> while trump and fiorina flashed their business backgrounds in a tit for ceo tat. >> she can't run any of my companies. that i can tell you. >> you ran up a mountain of debt with other people's money and you were forced to file
6:05 am
bankruptcy. >> the fact is we don't want to hear about your careers. back and forth and volleying back and forth about who did well and who did poorly. you're both successful people. congratulations. >> the debate did have some lighter moments or higher as the case may be. >> 40 years ago i smoked marijuana and i admit it. i'm sure others might have done it and may not want to say it on stage in front of 25 million people. my mom's not happy that i just did. >> and the presidential code names. >> ever ready. it is very high energy, donald. >> humble. >> and not to be outpartied, lindsey graham who made waves in the first debate with hard-edged anti terror policy. >> i have a plan to destroy a radical islam. because it has to be. these are religious nazis running wild. >> he also came out for hard liquor. >> has the first thing i'm going to do as president. we're going to drink more.
6:06 am
>> we haven't even mentioned ben carson. we haven't mentioned barely marco rubio. ted cruz. it just shows how hard it is to break through in these debates with so many candidates on the stage. scott walker too. needed a big debate. open question did he get it is this. >> we'll have to see. john burman, reporting live. thanks so much. of course the debate is dominating the headlines. here are a few that caught our attention from the daily beast. carly fiorina slays sexist trump on stage. and this one, trump's debate shtick turns stale. and from politico, is the summer of trump over? who were the winners and losers? jeffrey lorde is a trump supporter and the star parker, thanks to both of you for being with me this morning. >> you are welcome. >> so this is the line everyone is talking about. let's listen. >> you know it is interesting to
6:07 am
me. mr. trump said that he heard mr. bush very clearly and what mr. bush said. i think women all over this country heard very clearly what mr. trump said. [ applause ] >> i think she's got a beautiful face and i think she's a beautiful woman. >> okay. so star, carly fiorina got kudos for her answer but i'm not sure that donald trump's response was the response that most women wanted to hear because it sounded just as patronizing as saying, you know, he didn't like carly fiorina's face. >> absolutely. there is something within donald trump that does not acknowledge that there are some very bright women. and i believe carly showed him there are very bright women. smart, witty, amazingly informed
6:08 am
and donald trump keeps showing up not pretard to talk about the issues on hand and how he's going to solve them. so he got bombarded last night but ail tll the candidates thatt he was a threat. notice there are a couple of candidates who did not go after him. the ted cruz stayed focused and knew who he was talking too which was the american people. >> i think he had a strategy there because he wants to gain trump support. i don't know. but jeffrey, i want to go back to the carly fiorina moment when she responded to trump's comments from the rolling stone magazine. and he responded to her by saying he thought she was a beautiful woman. he seems tone deaf, jeffrey. >> to be perfectly candid i have to disagree with you, carly. i mean, what bothers me -- i thought carly fiorina did very
6:09 am
well. i thought she was really terrific last night. but what does bother me about her remark and also with jeb bush is that they play the gender and race cards. you know, sex and race. which is is, you know, a traditional weapon of the political left. it shouldn't be infiltrating the right and this is what more moderate republicans tend to do is mimic the left. you know it's just we're nicer, we can manager better, et cetera. and her response frankly i thought was sexist. i mean who cares about women and men? how about americans? who cares whether you are from mexico originally or ireland or from slovenia. i really think that kind of thing is bad for the conservative movement. >> okay. i'm digesting that. but i star i want to go back to the original point that jeb bush and carly fiorina were playing the race card and the gender
6:10 am
card. is that what they are doing? >> i don't believe they are playing a race and gender card. i think they are acknowledging that there are gender differences so yes, women come to the table with their experiences and expressions and even of the ethnicity in our country. we are a very diverse society and people have different interests. yes we are all americans but let's face it. the american who lives in the suburbs has different interests than the american who lives in the rural communities and or the americans that live in the urban centers. there are real issues perhaps and even in education to where it makes a difference where you live. and when you are disproportioned based on your race or ethnicity, in certain schools or demographic areas or areas in our country, then yes they are going to have other concerns. so to acknowledge that we are a diverse society and people have particular interests we need to address as americans is not the same as saying we're playing a race card. you are absolutely right. >> let me interrupt for a second because i want to respond to
6:11 am
jeffrey myself. in if i go to my boss and he responds to say you know i didn't really mean to comment on your appearance but i think you're a vur beautiful woman carroll. do i think my boss is really listening to me? does he really care about me as a thinking person? a professional person? no. so when donald trump says to carly fiorina i think you're a beautiful woman, that's just wrong. >> well -- >> condescending is what it is. >> well what he was trying to do clearly was to be amusing because she is -- the i mean the question was asked and that was her answer. so he answered her in kind. now i think she's, you know, a pretty tough soul here. that's a good thing. you want that in a president if that's what turns out to be. but to be hyper sensitive about this stuff, this is political correctness to the max and it is wrong. >> that was not hypersensitivity. donald trump went after her first. she responded and then his
6:12 am
response was very condescending. >> oh. way too sensitive. >> okay. let's turn our attention just for a moment to the democrats because some say, some observers out there say that actually the winner last night was hillary clinton because of her appearance on jimmy fallon show. let's watch. >> haven't seen you since my last wedding. >> well i'm sure i'll see you at the next one. you know i'm really curious, donald. what is your stance on women's issues? >> look, i know a lot of women. and they all have issues. you want to win, here's what you got to do. first, yell. i yell all the time. in fact this phone isn't even plugged in. i'm just yelling. [ laughter ] are you writing all this down? >> hold on. let me -- let me grab my pen.
6:13 am
>> oh jeffrey. come on, that was effective. don't you think. >> she was good i thought. honestly i thought she was very good. she should do more of that kind of thick. i mean she's got a serious problem with the american people in terms of their view of her integrity. i mean everybody knows that by now. and you know, if she's going to get out there and do -- you know, deal with that, this is one of the ways to do it. and i saw that clip this morning. i really did think she was good. >> all right. i'll have to leave it there. jeff -- >> i'm not voting for her but she's good. >> i didn't think you were. i appreciate it. still to come, you have heard the sound bite. but is it what wasn't said last night that is sending out the biggest message? our body lang expert breaks it down next. uage expert breaks it down next. did you know that good nutrition
6:14 am
is critical for brain health? brain food, hmmm. ensure has b vitamins that help support brain health - now that's smart nutrition. ensure's complete balanced nutrition has 26 vitamins and minerals and 9 grams of protein. ensure. take life in. we've been together since 2012. dinner is absolutely our favorite time together. i do notice that sometimes i eat better than her.
6:15 am
i get my healthy bowl of beneful, and she eats a cheese stick and a cracker. that's what she ate last night. cheese stick and a cracker. can you believe what some people put in their bodies? (vo) beneful originals is a healthy blend... ...your dog will love. with whole grains, real beef and accents of vegetables. beneful. healthy with a side of happy. which means you can watch movies while you're on the move. sitcoms, while you sit on those. and even fargo, in fargo! binge, while you lose weight! and enjoy a good cliffhanger while you hang from a... why am i yelling? the revolution will not only be televised. the revolution will be mobilized. introducing the all in one plan. only from directv and at&t.
6:16 am
6:17 am
6:18 am
debate night is all about the issues but sometimes it is what's not said that leaves the most lasting impression. we're all familiar with the faces of donald trump. there you see it. maybe a smug or contemplating an argument from one of his opponents. but what about this? this is ben carson at the podium answering a question from jake tapper about immigration. watch it again and pay attention to ben carson's hands. notice how he findgets with the podium. so what does it all mean? we're joined with someone who knows body language. author of "power of body language." first of all before we get to the hands t overall body language who are pulled it off? >> fiorina did the best. if you looked at her you took somebody who was second tier, moved up to first and walked away pretty much winning in terms of the non verbals and a lot of the verbals she did
6:19 am
really well. and i think at the end of the day we saw trump lose points because he was very quiet and couldn't keep up with the rest of the people. >> interesting. let's go -- >> carson's hands. let's show that. he was fidget okay the podium. wh what does that say. >> it is just indicative of somebody who is pacifying themselves. they are anxious. gives you that feeling of okay i'm going to soothe myself. of course he's new to this arena. so you expect that. you saw sweating on the upper lip which is also a sign of anxiety. i had to be hot in that room as lot. >> you saw a lot of sweating among all the candidates. i felt particularly sorry with the rubio and kasich. the back of their hair even. >> that was painful. >> that was painful. so perhaps the air conditioner should be turned down. >> little higher. >> okay. let's play video of the carly fiorina. i know you said --
6:20 am
>> she did well. >> there were moments when she was talking about her time as ceo of huewlett packard. >> see how much she's blinking right now. she did well. here she's blinking almost 100 times per minute. so you see he hit a really hot spot with her. >> and she was explaining why she was fired from hewlett packard so you can understand why that would have been a difficult moment. she gave a good answer though. >> she did. she gave a good verbal answer but the anxiety leaked out non verbally and that is the interesting piece. >> so there are also difficult moments. donald trump and ben carson do a low five. let's see that moment. this is jeb and trump doing the low five. >> right and then i think carson did the high five. right? >> now when you see this though,
6:21 am
you recognize that people are invading other people's space. so trump does this all the time and he thinks it comes off as maybe friendly but it comes off a very brash. and when you go into somebody's personal space, go into their intimate zone really what you are doing is demonstrates you feel you are the alpha. you are dominate, you are the one who has the power in that situation. and that is why it was so -- you shouldn't do things like this to begin with but. >> doesn't that help donald trump? >> i think that happened last night just because he bundled his way through the entire three hours. >> okay. . so let's watch a portion of the debate where mr. trump is attacking jeb bush's record. >> he's weak on immigration. by the way, in favor of common core, which is also a disaster. but weak on immigration. he doesn't get my vote. >> mr. trump -- >> excuse me --
6:22 am
>> first thing he starts off. jeb bush starts in a fig leaf position. which he's covering hi lower half. we do that when you feel vulnerable. you cover what feels most vulnerable to you. and as he's here hearing and trump is saying he starts to laugh. whenever we get angry the first thing we do to mask the anger isry laugh. so that's anowing. and then at the end you see the tongue come out. when you see tongue protrusion right after someone has spoken it's typically a signal of disgust. >> unless you are miley cyrus and then it is something different. >> we can't get into that right now. too early in the morning. >> so besides carly fiorina, who was next on your list as far as looking comfortable not only in their body language but with the issues as well. >> do you know who i want to talk about for a moment? rand paul. >> okay. >> rand paul the first time
6:23 am
around i'm like he's done. arrogant, condescending, smug. the facial expressions of anger and concontempt. this time, beautiful. i think he did really well. >> i liked his expression when donald trump was talking about his looks and he waslike oh. he didn't need so say anything. the camera was on him. it was pmplt. >> i think he moved up in my opinion. >> on ttonya thank you so much. style to come, what's more important for a candidate? getting more time to talk at the debate? or is it what you actually say? we'll break down the numbers, next. diabetes, steady is exciting. only glucerna has carbsteady, clinically proven to help minimize blood sugar spikes. so you stay steady ahead.
6:24 am
i just want to take a vacation. redeem our hotel points. this seems crazy. tell us something we don't know, captain obvious. ok. with hotels.com, when you collect 10 nights you get one free. oh. and this room smells like cat food and sadness. did you know that meeting your daily protein needs actually helps to support your muscle health? boost® high protein nutritional drink can help you get the protein you need. each serving has 15 grams of protein to help maintain muscle, plus 26 vitamins and minerals including calcium and vitamin d to support strong bones. boost® high protein is the #1 selling high protein complete nutritional drink and it has a great taste-guaranteed! help get the nutrition you need everyday with boost® high protein. available at these fine retailers.
6:25 am
6:26 am
6:27 am
i'm jake tapper in havana cuba. and this is cnn. on this morning after the
6:28 am
cnn debate some candidates say they were left in fact shadows as the spotlight shined primarily on the front runner donald trump: here is what chris christie said on "new day." >> the more people get to know me the better i'm going to do. so i went from six minutes in the first debate to seven minutes last night. so i'm making incrementing progress. >> you only spoke for seven minutes? >> seven minutes last night. >> what were you timing it? >> someone told me when i got off. i've always been quality over quantity. always. i think i did move the needle last night. in terms of people getting to know me better. and when they do i think aisi'lo well. >> chris christie, you got more than seven minutes. we have someone who crunched the numbers and that would be one brian stellter. good morning. how many minutes did he get.
6:29 am
>> looks like our estimates about 12 minutes. it probably won't surprise you donald trump had the most talk time. partly because he was taking the most incoming fire and had time to respond. it goes pretty much with turump and bush. even scott walker and john kasich at the end with eight and nine minutes. they all had a lot of time because there was a three hour long debate. there's been a few complaints about the length but everybody got a lot of time in order to make their message count. and the early ratings are in for the debate. looks like the highest rated event in cnn's history. it looks like it is going to be upwards of 20 million viewers. the previously highest viewed debate was 8 million in 2008.
6:30 am
all these candidates had a great night. because they got in front of 20 million people with their message. >> even mike huckabee. mike huckabee got what? five minutes, four minutes? >> nine minutes as well. >> so does mike -- would mike huckabee think what you just said. >> partly it is about yoozing your nine minutes effectively or 12 minutes effectively. if you feel like you got everything across and made it count then you had a very good night. some is knowing how to use the format to your advantage. and we saw all night the candidates lobbying tapper, saying jake, jake. trying to jump in. and the candidates are able to game out the strategies and when the ratings comes in this afternoon i think we'll see a true record being brought for
6:31 am
cnn. >> and wolff blitzer will ask her live tonight in the situation room. catch the interview right here on cnn, 5:00 eastern. and good morning, i'm carol costello. thank you so much for joining me. it could be the day analysts have been nervously awaiting the interest rates on your credit cards, mortgages and car loans about to go up. the federal reserve could determine all of that today. you can see the stock market there. it is down just about seven points. let's head over the allison kosik live at the new york stock exchange. good morning. >> will the fed raise rates today? are they not? and for every person who says yes there is another who says they are going to hold off. and traders i've been talking to say they want to fed to raise rates and take the uncertainty out of mark.
6:32 am
but there is a growing course of big names saying look, the fed should wait. they are saying the fed should wait and point to anemic wage growth, low ib inflation and all the volatility we've seen and the worry is that that volatility can spill over into the economy. many say it is the wrong time to pull the trigger. rates are meant to hold down loans for car loans and mortgages. even if the fed puts it decision on ice today rates will eventually go occupy. and when it does pull the trigger it is going to be more expensive for you and me to borrow money. car loans, mortgages, credit cards. all of those rates will go up. the rate hiexs are going to be gradual which means you shouldn't see any massive jumps. my advice, relax. you don't need to rush out and buy a new home or get a new car
6:33 am
loan because interest rates even with the hike are low and will remain historically low for a while. >> i'll keep that in mind allison. thanks so much. still to come in the newsroom, how did voters feel about last night's debate? who are the winners and losers in their minds? we'll hear from them next when you do business everywhere, the challenges of keeping everyone working together can quickly become the only thing you think about. that's where at&t can help. at&t has the tools and the network you need, to make working as one easier than ever. virtually anywhere. leaving you free to focus on what matters most.
6:34 am
building aircraft, the likes of which the world has never seen. this is what we do. ♪ that's the value of performance. northrop grumman. pubut to get from theand yoold way to the new,d. you'll need the right it infrastructure. from a partner who knows how to make your enterprise more agile, borderless and secure. hp helps business move on all the possibilities of today. and stay ready for everything that is still to come.
6:35 am
6:36 am
6:37 am
so you know what the pundits think about the debate but what about the voters? we got immediate reaction after the big event last night.
6:38 am
here's what they told her. >> a lot of people here think that carly fiorina was a big standout. including susan here. why do you think carly did such a good job. >> i think she took on donald trump. he did not impress me as much as he has in the passed. but carly was there. she was steadfast, intelligent. she just really came across as someone that thought things through more than, you know, spoke off the cuff. she's an outsider. i think that we've in the last election cycle handed the republicans a pretty big majority. and they have done nothing wit. and -- so i'm looking at an outsider. >> how do you think mike hammond that donald trump did tonight and ben carson. >> ben carson is extremely nice.
6:39 am
probably well informed but he just have the background, the experience. and donald is donald. >> there kro you have it. donald is donald. they were not as impressed with trump's performance when saying he and his fellow outsider ben carson did nothing to help themselves last night. so could the man defying gravity be falling back to earth. welcome my guests. thank you so much for being with me. tama, politico asks is the summer of trump over? but perhaps chris christie crystallized that feeling when he told both trump and fiorina to stop being so narcissistic. >> i'm as entertained as anyone by this personal back and forth
6:40 am
about the history of donald and carly''s career. for the 55-year-old construction worker out in that audience tonight they could care less about your careers. they care about theirs. >> so tana is this the beginning of the end for mr. trump? >> are you kidding, carol? this is just the beginning for mr. trump. absolutely not. that is so funny. i think chris makes me laugh -- and he made actually my entire debate watch party that we had just packed to support mr. trump, he made everybody laugh. of course he's going say that about mr. trump. because christie is not a successful businessman like mr. trump and he wants that position of the president of the united states because he'll probably make more money. unlike my boss who is losing a lot of money working so hard to make america great again. no, absolutely not. as you have probably seen the drudge report as well as the times, 52%, 55% said mr. trump
6:41 am
just overwhelmingly won that debate last night. and that is from the voters, not the two people that randy had interviewed prior. >> well she interviewed more than that. but we only had time to show two. but i get your point. >> i know. in iowa there are like 40 people there. so 40 people versus, you know, over, what a million people voted last night seeing mr. trump hands down won that debate. >> well, politico has an interesting story this morning and they talked to iowa caucus goers about the performance, especially of mr. trump and carly fiorina. and i just want to read a quote from that political article. she, fiorina, caused the fifth and final bankruptcy of donald trump. bankrupt of policy, ideas and stature, he was finally shown to be the fraud con artist of 2016. charmaine, want to take that on? >> i'll have to say carol it was not a good night for mr. trump. and truly carly really did land blow after blow after blow on
6:42 am
him. and particularly the point about the bankruptcy. if you think about the words that were coming out of last night related to donald trump, first carly makes the really solid point about his bankruptcies cl i think a lot of voters aren't really aware of because he has been effective in making the case for himself as businessman. but then jeb bush came back and really landed a blow on him on the word casino. just the repeat of that word casino, there is a lot of people out there who really didn't have o that word associated with the donald trump. and then throughout the middle of the debate there were 40 whole minutes where he just faded away and didn't say a word. which i i just think it was not a good night. and when you look at the high negatives he went into this debate with. yes he was the front runner but the high negatives are something he has to battle against and he didn't do himself any favors with that last night. >> the only reason he let people
6:43 am
speak is because he felt so guilty taking all that air time. mr. walker got nine minutes in the entire three hours. so he has to let somebody else have a turn. >> i think describing donald trump as feeling guilty is maybe not quite accurate. but you raise an important point. last night was the battle of the time clock. with eleven people on the stage what really mattered is how much time that you had. and that was another place that carly fiorina and the marco rubio really shined. at the end of the day being able to take up that space on the stage both literally and figuratively is what really mattered. both carly and marco ranked in the lower amount of questions received but they both were ranked very highly in the amount of time they ended up taking and that really demonstrated a command and presence and a strategy. and at the end of the day they were able to demonstrate leadership in that way by using the format to their advantage. >> i will say that mr. trump
6:44 am
still didn't seem to have like specific policies that he could articulate in a way that would make voters feel good about him being in the white house. carly fiorina, whether you agreed with her policy positions or not seemed to interehave it >> well carly wasn't being attacked over and over again. she didn't have to defend herself. she could use that time, you know, strategically. mr. trump again was being attacked over and over again. so he had to use his time to deflect like the comments that were just made about the casino and bankruptcy. and he had to say hello, how many times are we going to hear this word bankruptcy. >> to say that carly was not attacked last night is again very inaccurate and not a reaction of what we actually saw on screen. but she was really effective in talking about policy and one of the best moments that she had was talking about planned parenthood. she's being attacked for that by some people saying what she said
6:45 am
was not accurate. but in a debate you are not footnoting. what you are doing is you are communicating emotion. you are communicating passion. she was accurate as what she described as being in the planned parenthood videos and she was the only one who talk the opportunity to describe what americans are feeling in response to planned parenthood kind of -- >> you are right. i got to leave it there. but charmaine. she was very emotional when it came to her planned parenthood marks but not so accurate in her description of the video. we'll just leave it there. thank you so much for joining us this morning. still to come, a muslim teenager arrested at school now has an invitation to the white house. his incredible story and how it became part of last night's debate, next. technology empowers us to achieve more. it pushes us to go further. special olympics has almost five million athletes
6:46 am
in 170 countries. the microsoft cloud allows us to immediately be able to access information, wherever we are. information for an athlete's medical care, or information to track their personal best. with microsoft cloud, we save millions of man hours, and that's time that we can invest in our athletes and changing the world.
6:47 am
devhighest quality,the clinically proven nutrition isn't easy, so at gnc, why do we do it? why do we include key ingredients found in fruits and vegetables to create the world's best
6:48 am
multivitamin programs? why do we do over 150 quality checks before putting them on the shelf? well, here's why... ♪ celebrating 80 years of quality life and quality products. for a limited time buy one vitapak and get one half off. the worlds best multivitamin program, only at gnc.
6:49 am
misswill turn anan asphalt parking lot into a new neighborhood for san franciscans. a vote for "yes" on "d" is definitely a vote for more parks and open space. a vote on proposition "d" is a vote for jobs. campos: no one is being displaced. it's 40% affordable units near the waterfront for regular people. this is just a win-win for our city. i'm behind it 100%. voting yes on "d" is so helpful
6:50 am
to so many families in our city. a muslim teenager who was arrested is returning to class following his three-day suspensi suspension. they say the 14-year-old will not be charged but he says he's thinking of transferring to another school and he's speaking out about how he felt after being put into handcuffs. >> i'm the first person that built a clock and got in trouble for it. i built the clock to impress my teacher, but when i showed it to her, she thought it was a threat to her. so -- so, it was really sad that she took the wrong impression of it and i got arrested for it
6:51 am
later that day. >> once word got out about mohamed's arrest it went viral. they used #istandwith ahmad. it even came up during the first round of the gop debate? >> we know how you feel about the vigilance part of this. do you ever see the discrimination part of it? >> sure. i don't think a 14-year-old should ever get arrested for bringing a clock to school. i'm glad police are careful, worried about security and safety issues. >> cnn's elana machado has been following this story. good morning. >> reporter: good morning, carol. you know, ahmad mohamed says he's very gateful for all the support he received following monday's incident. the 14-year-old says he completed a digital clock using a pencil box and was used to show it off at his school. one of his teachers became
6:52 am
concerned and the police got involved. the police chief says because of, quote, the suspicious nature of the device, he was taken into custody and accused of having a fake bomb. the teen said he was enter gated, handcuffed and taken to a juvenile detention center where he was held until his father picked him up. it sparked outrage online, social media, th the #istandwithahmad nationwide, with some high-profile names. mark zuckerberg said, if you ever want to come by facebook, i would love to meet you. keep building. president obama said, cool clock, ahmed. want to bring it to the white house? ahmed considers himself an inventor and he was even invited to m.i.t. watch this from last night. >> you can come visit us at m.i.t. i would love to give you a tour
6:53 am
for theoretical physics and i'm hearing from my former advisers at harvard college they would love for you to come to the center for astro physics, so i really hope you'll come visit us in cambridge. it would be fantastic to have you. you are the kind of student we want at places like m.i.t. and harvard. >> ahmed, are you -- obviously, it's a plane flight and such, but maybe you can check it out. it's early for college, you're only 14, but these things start early these days. >> yeah, yeah, that's -- that's a fact right there. >> reporter: now, lots of invitations for him to consider. yesterday, by the way, police announced the case is closed and they will not be pursuing any charges against the teen. it's unclear what will happen next because we know his family has legal counsel and contemplating what steps, if any, what steps they'll be taken. >> thanks so much. today republican candidates are cooling off after a heated debate, but how much of what they said was just hot air?
6:54 am
up next, we'll separate fact from fiction. from the people who brought you underwhelming internet speeds.
6:55 am
6:56 am
6:57 am
and the people who brought you temperamental satellite television. introducing... underwhelming internet speeds and temperamental television... in one. welcome to the moment no one's been waiting for. the fastest internet and the best tv experience
6:58 am
is already here with x1. only from xfinity. it was hard to turn away from last neat ace gop debate. how much of what they said was actually true? cnn's tom foreman separates fact from fiction. >> reporter: donald trump says he has so much wealth, you don't have to worry about him mixing money and politics. in this debate jeb bush said, too late, trump himself has already tried to pie political influence. >> he wanted casino gambling in florida. >> i did not. >> you totally did. >> totally false. >> i was opposed to -- >> i promise you, i would have gotten it. >> i'm not going to be bought by anybody. >> i promise, if i wanted it, i
6:59 am
would have gotten it. >> no way. >> no. i know my people. >> not even possible. >> the facts, trump did hold a fund-raiser for jeb bush in the late '90s when he was trying to get a casino deal down in florida. bush later blocked it. on this issue it appears trump had to say things that were false and bush was saying something that was true. on the issue of iraq -- >> i am the only person that fought very, very hard against us, and i wasn't a sitting politician going into iraq. >> many of the candidates say if they knew then what they know now, they would have opposed the war. some say they even resisted it way back then, including rand paul. but donald trump was a big public figure. he did speak out in a big way within a week of the invasion saying it was a mess. give him credit here, what he had to say was true. >> all right. we'll have more fact-checking for you a little later. the next hour of "cnn newsroom" starts now.
7:00 am
good morning. i'm carol costello. thank you for joining me. donald trump tones it down and many of his gop rivals it step it up, targeting the front-runner in the cnn debate. no one seemed to seize control and score points like carly fiorina. on the morning after, she says americans hud take notice. . >> i hope it's pretty clear that i am a fighter. i have also been the most vocal critic of hillary clinton on the campaign trail, presumably the democrat party's nominee. this is going to be a fight. this is an important election and we're going to have a fight about really important principles and really important policies and really important differences. so, if you can't fight on a debate stage, you can't stand up and fight for the american people. and the american people are looking for a fighter because
7:01 am
they know this is a pivotal time in our nation's history. they know these are important issues. so, yeah, i'm prepared to fight. >> we are double-teaming our coverage from the site of the debate. athena jones is at the reagan presidential library along with jeff zeleny. look at you both sitting -- awesome. you look awake. i know you had a long night. thank you for being with me this morning. jeff, i'll start with you. winners and losers. >> good morning, carol. i mean, the morning after the debate, i can tell you if one stock that's rising in the big republican field, it would be the stock of carly fiorina. it was the first time she was on the big debate stage, the prime time debate stage. and she made the most of this opportunity. of course, she was introducing herself to a wide audience. people who aren't that familiar with her background, did not perhaps even know she was running for president. she took every moment of that advantage. and she really decided to go after donald trump.
7:02 am
they had a really interesting exchange on their business background, on bankruptcies, on her experience as a ceo. let's take a listen to that. >> i led hewlett-packard through a very difficult time. the worst technology recession in 25 years. >> she can't run any of my companies. i can tell you that. >> you ran up mountains of debts, as well as losses, using other people's money and you were forced to file for bankruptcy, not once -- >> i never filed for bankruptcy -- >> four times. a record four times. >> i made over $10 billion. >> so, you did not see carly fiorina flinch at all in the face of donald trump. she did what many republican candidates have struggled to do, going after his flaws in his record. of course, he brought up a few of hers as well. it's that interesting exchange. it could reorder this republican field. we'll see as this shapes out over the coming days. carly fiorina, without question, is going to get a second look from a lot of voters out there
7:03 am
in those early voting states of iowa, new hampshire, south carolina. she'll be campaigning there over the weekend. >> i'm always interested to know what happens with the candidates after the debate. they gather around, talk to reporters, sometimes to one another. what was that like? >> hi, carol. i can tell you this, each of the campaigns you talk to, they believe, of course, their candidate did best. candidate campaigns sending out e-mail blasts throughout the debate and throughout the night saying he won. for example, marco rubio saying he won. they sent out a quote from bill o'reilly saying marco rubio won on points. jeb bush's campaign said he won on the night. that's not surprising. one thing that was interesting was chris christie. he was out there on the edge of the stage. he's been in the single digits, so he really had to make the most of what ends up being a limited amount of time for each of these candidates. and he did that from the very beginning by trying to show that
7:04 am
he's for the people. he's for the voters. he cares more about them than he does about talking about himself. he said at the very beginning, hey, have the cameraman turn to the audience, not to me, and ask for a show of hands of people in the audience who are better off now under president obama than before. there was another moment when he tried to show he was the adult in the room, talking to donald trump and carly fiorina about their going back and forth. take a listen to that. >> i'm as entertained as anyone by this personal back and forth about the history of donald and carly's career. for the 55-year-old construction worker out in that audience tonight who doesn't have a job, who can't fund his child's education. i have to tell you the truth, they could care less about your careers. you're both successful people. congratulations. you know who's not successful? the middle class in this country who's getting plowed over by barack obama and hillary clinton. let's start talking about those issues tonight and stop this childish back and forth between the two of you.
7:05 am
>> so, he got some applause there for that line about the childish back and forth. going into the debate, he said this was not about a food fight. he was clearly trying to get the message across he's going to want to talk about issues that voters care about, not about a clash of personalities or biographies. >> thank you. i appreciate you being with me this morning, as boeflt our correspondents said, there was substance in the debate, foreign policy, abortion and, of course, immigration. a moment. jeb bush pushing donald trump to apologize for maligning his spanish-speaking wife. >> you're proud of your family, just as i am. >> correct. >> to subject my wife into the middle of a raucous political conversation was completely inappropriate. i hope you apologize. >> i hear phenomenal things. i hear your wife is a lovely woman. >> she is fantastic. >> i don't know her. that was a mischaracterization -- >> why don't you apologize -- >> i won't do that because i
7:06 am
said nothing wrong. >> america doesn't have one immigration problem, it has three. despite the fact we're the most generous country in the history of the world on allowing people to come here legally, we still have people coming illegally. second, we have a legal immigration system that no longer works. it's based on whether or not you have a relative living her instead of merit. we have 11, 12 million people living here who are already here illegally and we must deal with all three of these problems. we cannot deal with all three of these problems in one massive piece of legislation. >> first of all, i want to build a wall. a wall that works. so important. and it's a big part of it. second of all, we have a lot of really bad dudes in this country from outside. and i think chris knows that maybe as well as anybody. they go, if i get elected, first day, they're gone. >> all right. so, let's talk about this. alfonso is executive director, and tara is our cnn political
7:07 am
commentator. welcome to both of you. thank you for being here. >> thank you for having us. >> thank you for being here. i so appreciate it. mrs. bush's wife took issue with donald trump. she tweeted out, quote, i came to america because i love this country. donald trump is wrong. tara, maybe she should start tweeting more. >> well, i mean, this is -- she's just another victim of donald trump's attacks. i thought that was one of the moments where jeb bush asserted himself in a way that was good for him. because, you know, for donald trump to go after his wife seemed a little low-brow. i understand the point, what he was trying make. he's trying to rouse people up about this. it was really unfair at that point. the fact he wouldn't apologize, when he had the opportunity to kind of be the bigger person there and apologize, like, all right, maybe i didn't need to bring your wife into it. she's not running for office. he didn't. and i think it made him look small. another time when he would not
7:08 am
apologize for being obnoxious, which he was. >> well, let's talk a little substance right now, because i want to go through what all of the candidates said, or at least some of them. let's start with donald trump. he said he would deport all criminal immigrants on day one of his presidency. alfonso, thoughts? >> well, that's ridiculous. from a policy perspective, that's just impossible. not only is it too costly, but i think the majority -- the mass majority of law enforcement officials will tell you that's impossible to do. i think it's, frankly, un-american to round up people, many who have been here for decades, whose children are american, they're part of our community. to say something like that is just ridiculous. from a political perspective, i mean, it's just so offensive to latinos. if he were the gop nominee, he would just not get the support of latino voters. so, again, very offensive. >> so, tara, chris christie, he said we should fingerprint all visiting immigrants so we know when to throw them out. thoughts?
7:09 am
>> well, let's be honest, we're talking about the sovereignty of our country. we need to know who's coming in and who's exiting this country. i think what chris christie said, using the fedex example at one point, it was tongue in cheek, but i don't think it's unreasonable or un-american to have -- to know who is in our country and who isn't. all -- 9/11, did we forget about that, how those hijackers got into this country on student visas, overstaying those things, visitor visas. this part of the system where 40% of illegals in this country overstay their visas. this is an aspect. illegal immigration debate people forget. there's nothing unreasonable about that. most americans feel we would like to round up and throw out criminal illegal aliens in this country, even though it's not possible to do on day one. obviously, there's logistical issues with that, but the american says, they need to get
7:10 am
out of here. they're illegal, committing crimes and they need to go. that resonates. that part of donald trump's rhetoric resonates. >> it does. ben carson said, only pristine, undocumented immigrants should stay and they should work as guest workers primarily in the agricultural fields. thoughts? >> well, i don't know if he exactly said that. i mean, he has supported a guest worker program so american companies that cannot find american workers can bring in the foreign workers our economy needs. it's a conservative solution. i think it works. and under this program, he's calling for allowing people who are here illegally to get a path to legal status under this guest worker program. and workers are needed not only agriculture, but in the hospitality industry, in construction. so, i think it's a good proposal. however, there are many here who have been here for many years,
7:11 am
decades, who are good people, who have no criminal record, and just to give them a work visa, i don't know if that's enough. i think we should definitely give them a path to legal status that goes beyond just a work visa. let me say, his proposal is constructive and would be well received by latino voters. i think on this issue, ben carson was very constructive. >> i want to get to marco rubio. he says we should use an e-verify system to track immigrants and also quite effective when he spoke of his own immigrant background. let's listen. >> i agree that english is the unifying language of our country and everyone should learn to speak it. it's important. i want to tell you the story of someone who didn't speak english that very well. my grandfather instilled in the belief that i was blessed but it was in spanish. he became a conservative even though he got his news in spanish. i believe free enterprise and limited government is the best way to help people who are trying to achieve upward moenlt.
7:12 am
if they get their news in spanish, i want them to hear that directly from me. not from a translater at univision. >> i could relate to that story, tara, because my grandfather never spoke great english either. he spoke italian. >> i think that is -- as important as i believe english should be the official language in this country. english is the official language in tanzania and papua new guinea. not here. marco rubio hit that part right on. he turned it around and said, look, this is what it's -- what's going on. my own family, this is what's happening, and we can reach folks in their own language. whether you agree or not, the way he presented it was fantastic. i think that's one of the really, really strong advantages that marco rubio has going into this election and he doesn't seem he's pandering.
7:13 am
he uses his own, real personal stories to make the conservative message relatable across the board. it was an excellent, excellent answer for him. >> it was. i have to leave it there. alfonso, tara, thanks to you both. i appreciate it. hillary clinton is not granting very many interviews but she granted one to wolf blitzer. she'll be on his show today at 5:00 p.m. eastern time. should be interesting. still to come in the "newsroom" -- candidates who could see big gains from her debate performance, carly fiorina. she did more than just stand up to donald trump. >> have you met vladimir putin? i wouldn't talk to him at all. what i would do immediately is rebeginning the six fleet, the missile defense program in poland, conduct regular aggressive military exercises in the baltic states, probably send a few more thousand troops into germany. vladimir putin would get the message.
7:14 am
♪ it's the final countdown! ♪ ♪ the final countdown!
7:15 am
if you're the band europe, you love a final countdown. it's what you do. if you want to save fifteen percent or more on car insurance, you switch to geico. it's what you do.
7:16 am
7:17 am
7:18 am
i think women all over this country heard very clearly what mr. trump said. [ applause ] >> i think she's got a beautiful face, and i think she's a beautiful woman. >> we don't think donald's response went over too well with carly fiorina. for whatever it's worth, that was the moment most tweeted last night. according to "time" magazine, fiorina started the debate with 493,000 followers. this morning she has more than
7:19 am
530,000 followers. clearly fiorina resonated. on "new day" this morning she talked about why. >> i am a fighter. i have also been the most vocal critic of hillary clinton on the campaign trail. this is going to be a fight. this is an important election and we're going to have a fight about really important principles and really important policies and really important differences. so, if you can't fight on a debate stage, then you're not going to be able to stand up and fight for the american people. and the american people are looking for a fighter because they know this is a pivotal time in our nation's history. they know these are important issues. and so, yeah, i'm prepared to fight. >> with me now cnn national political reporter maeve reston and david gergen. do i have him on the phone? he's calling in. the first question to you, what was the response to carly fiorina like inside the debate room?
7:20 am
>> well, incredibly intimate setting, as you know. she really owned that stage last night. this was a forum that was built just for her kind of talent. she gave polished answers, she really gave it to donald trump. that moment you just showed was clearly the moment of the debate. the facial control, you know, she listened to donald trump's response was really quite extraordinary. so, certainly she's the candidate that everyone's talking about today. this opens a big opportunity for her here. she's been doing a lot of the spade work in the early states like new hampshire and i'm sure we will see a strong surge for her in the polls. >> actually, i like the look on donald trump's face the most because he clearly looked uncomfortable. >> well, like she kind of got the better of him, right? it was giving her a little credit there. and then i'm not sure his comeback went over so well like you were saying. >> yeah, it still sounded so
7:21 am
patronizing. it's like, hello, are you tone deaf, mr. trump? hello. we have david gergen on the phone. back to carly fiorina for a second, david, because she seemed very prepared. she was prepared for questions on the culture war and also foreign policy. let's listen. >> okay. we don't have that sound. it hurts me we don't. she sounded very prepared on foreign policy. whether you agree with it or not, your opinion, david? >> carol, she was -- she came with crisp, prepared answers. she's a pro. she was principled, she was tough. there was a lot of margaret thatcher in her. which i think all worked. but that putdown of donald trump, he knew he was in trouble. he should have apologized. that would have been the manly thing to do. but instead she walked away with that point. and then on two, three occasions thereafter, i thought especially when she talked about -- about
7:22 am
the price she paid in her own family, losing a child to drug addiction, that was moving. overall, she was -- you know, she -- just as she was in the first debate, she was -- this time she graduated to the ground table and she won again. she's going to be a powerful force in these debates. i would imagine coming out of this that she'll take away some of ben carson's support and i would think she's going to be the one nipping at donald trump's heels. we don't know whether he got hurt last night. you know, he's a very durable fellow. his shield was dented. whether it's bad reply damaly d have to wait and see. >> i want to share what carly fiorina said about foreign policy. >> have you met vladimir puten? i wouldn't talk to him at all. what i would would do immediately is rebeginning the sixth fleet, rebuilding the
7:23 am
missile defense program in poland. i would conduct regular, aggressive military exercises in the baltic states, send a few more thousand troops into germany. vladimir putin would get the message. >> david, military, that all would take a lot of money, but at least she thought about it and she had her answer ready. >> exactly. you can't imagine donald trump giving that kind of answer. doesn't seem plausible he would answer like that. but the answer she gave is very much what a commander in chief needs to know. you know, that person needs to be in command of the facts, understand the strategy and have a comprehensive view of the world. she has that. now, you know, there's going to be be a lot more scrutiny of carly fiorina, especially at hp. she believes she was fired because there were some gender
7:24 am
related. some thinks she let the company down the wrong track, and meg whitman took a jab at her yesterday. more to come, but there's no question it was carly fiorina's night. she has given a voice to an awful lot of people who are looking for a strong leader, other than trump. she may become the trump alternative. we'll have to wait and see. >> thanks to both of you. still to come in the "newsroom," there were a few laughs that came out of last night's debate. but did the best zinger come from someone who wasn't even on the stage? ♪ every insurance policy has a number. but not every insurance company understands the life behind it. for those who've served and the families who've supported them, we offer our best service in return. ♪ usaa. we know what it means to serve.
7:25 am
get an insurance quote and see why 92% of our members plan to stay for life. ♪ [meow mix jingle slowly anright on cue.cks] [cat meows] ♪meow, meow, meow, meow... it's more than just a meal, it's meow mix mealtime. with great taste and 100% complete nutrition, it's the only one cats ask for by name. awe believe active management can protect capital long term. active management can tap global insights. active management can take calculated risks. active management can seek to outperform. because active investment management isn't reactive.
7:26 am
it's active. that's the power of active management. when your windshield needs for these parents, driving. around was the only way... ...to get their baby to sleep. so when their windshield got cracked, we can't drive this car they wanted it fixed right... ...so they scheduled with safelite. our exclusive trueseal technololgy means a strong... ...reliable bond, every time. at safelite we stand behind our work... night, night little buddy. ...because the ones you love, sit behind it.
7:27 am
that's another safelite advantage. (softly) ♪safelite repair, safelite replace♪
7:28 am
we made accommodation to the ft. hood shooter to let him grow a beard. we made accommodations to the
7:29 am
detainees at gitmo. i've been to gitmo and i've seen the accommodations we made to muslim detainees who killed americans. you're telling me you cannot make an accommodation for an elected democrat county clerk from rowan county, kentucky? what else is it other than the criminalization of her faith and the exall tags of the faith of everyone else who might be a ft. hood shooter or a detainee at gitmo? >> of course, that's mike huckabee invoking the spectre of that embattled clerk, kim davis, who says she can't issue gay marriage certificates. one example where huckabee tried to leave his mark on the debate stage. i'm join the by his campaign communications director alice stewart. good morning, alice. >> good morning, carol. thanks for having me. >> thanks for being with me because i know you had a long night.
7:30 am
"the washington post" had a list of winners and losers. huckabee showed up on the loser list along with three words, where was he? so, where was he? >> he was right up there on the debate stage. everyone has different takeaways from the debate. everyone is entitled to their own opinion. at the end of the day, there are 11 quan dacandidates on the sta. everyone had their allotted amount of time. what we're pleased with, when he was given the opportunity to speak and had the opportunity to answer questions, he spoke of substance. he was able to connect with the viewers out there and the people he's been speaking with. and he made extremely important points. specifically when he had the opportunity to talk about how will the world be different or the united states be different when he is elected president? he made a very important point, is that we'll be strong in terms of national security. we will have our enemies across the world will fear us. and we'll be a much stronger
7:31 am
nation. and also, provided optimism for people. he wants america to be the greatest it can possibly be. he provided hope and optimism to those who are watching the debate. >> is it difficult -- i mean, the placement on stage, he was at the very, very end. is it difficult when you're in that spot to get a word in edgewise? >> it's just a matter of, you know, when the questions come to him and making the most of the opportunities. you know, the way the television is set up and the stage is set up, obviously the cameras go to different people at different times. the placement on the stage isn't as important as the policies and principles he's able to put forth. we're satisfied with what he was able to say. he made some great points in terms of reaching out to the american people. he made very valid points in protecting religious freedoms and -- >> let's talk about his stance on religious liberty because evangelical voters seem to be
7:32 am
all over the place. they don't seem to be supporting candidates like mike huckabee this time around. they seem to be with donald trump. why is that? >> well, it's still early. we have great, tremendous support from evangelicals. we rolled out a very strong list of evangelical supporters in the key early state of iowa and south carolina just a few weeks ago. he's able to gavlvanize them. case in point, the rally he had in kentucky. we reached out to our evangelical base. pastors across the country, iowa, south carolina, key states. we had people come from all across the country, faith-based evangelical people that supported not only religious liberties but governor huckabee. we were able to galvanize them, engage them and bring them out to rally and support not only kim davis, but for religious
7:33 am
liberties. that was a true test. we had 5,000 people come from across the country, engaging our evangelicals and social conservatives who support governor huckabee. it was a true test of our ability to engage that sector and bring them out to grayson, kentucky. it's a true test of what we'll be able to do in iowa on caucus night and throughout the primary process. >> thank you so much for being with me this morning. i appreciate it. she may not have been on stage, but hillary clinton definitely was a presence on the republican candidates' big night. she even had her own face-off with donald trump. >> i just finish the the gop debate. as usual, i was fantastic. everyone loved me. i know you're about to go for your interview with jimmy fallon, but he's a total lightweight so i'm going to do him a favor and interview you instead. >> that's great. you know how much i love being interviewed. as long as you don't start talking over me when i'm trying to make a point. >> yeah, question one --
7:34 am
>> i'm really curious, donald, what is your stance on women's issues? >> look, i know a lot of women. they all have issues. >> i wish i could have shown that whole thing, larry, because it was really, really funny. and when i heard that hillary clinton was going to be on jimmy fallon's show on debate night, i thought, oh, who's going to watch? but it turned out to be very effective because we have this thing called the internet. >> that's absolutely true. having watched all five hours of your debates last night, i was ready for a good laugh. and that's exactly what fallon provided. so, look, hillary clinton needs a lot more of this. this was a great start. you know, she was on "ellen" the other day. i think this was even better for her. she's going to have to do a lot more of that. and show more of her personality
7:35 am
because that's been one of her problems over the last six months. >> i should introduce you officially because, you know, i didn't because you're such a good friend of the show and friend of mine. this is larry sabato, director of university of virginia politics. >> better if you don't. >> better if no one knows who you are. it is interesting -- >> i thought there was another larry there. i wasn't sure. >> sorry about that. it is interesting that hillary clinton agreed to an interview with wolf blitzer, when will air later on this afternoon. so, maybe she's stepping out more. >> well, yes. they advertised that in the new york times. she indicated she would be more available to the media and more spontaneous and humorous. an unusual announcement. but they're doing the right thing. they need to get her out there so people see her in less controlled atmospheres and environments. so, this will be very interesting. now she's had a day for -- to
7:36 am
process what the republicans said in the debate. her staff had a day to process it. i suspect she will make some news. if she's smart, she will make some news and she's a very smart person. >> we'll see what happens. back to the -- let's talk about humor because on the debate stage, even in a controlled environment, some of the candidates tried to use humor to make themselves look more human. some were more successful than others. marco rubio, for example, attempted to be funny with a nod to california's drought and his previous fumble to president obama. it's nice we could see this so people know what i'm talking about. here it comes. it's coming. the video's coming -- >> i'm honored to be at the reagan library at the place that honors the legacy of a man who loves our country and service. and california has a drought and that's why i made sure i brought
7:37 am
my own water. >> really trying. i felt sorry for him because it kind of fell flat. >> a lot of things fell flat in that small auditorium, which was filled with the republican establishment, which is another reason trump didn't do well last night. marco rubio, i thought, had a very good night. if he learned one thing between the state of the union response and last night, it's to stay away from water jokes. that would be my free suggestion to him. >> especially in california, right? another moment that actually was funny when jeb bush and donald trump seemed to bond over proposed secret service names. >> it's very high-energy, donald. [ applause ]
7:38 am
>> mr. trump? >> humble. >> that's a good one. >> actually, surprised their minds were still working because it was like the third hour of the debate. >> the truth is, carol, that the secret service was greatly relegr relieved they'll never use 10 of those 11 code names. >> actually just before you go, i wanted to know from your perspective, who was the big winner of the night and who was the loser? >> oh, i think carly fiorina. i agree with the consensus. i felt that even during the debate. a lot of people wait for the consensus and then they chime in. but all along, i felt she was by far the strongest candidate. she is guaranteed her place in the rest of the debates. so, that makes her the long-term big winner as well. she may start cutting into the
7:39 am
outsider percentages that trump and carson have. we'll have to see what the polls showed. the top loser, i'm sorry to say for him, was scott walker. he needed a break-through moment. he had a couple of good moments, but he just disappeared on stage. and he needed a lot more than that to keep his donors happy. >> larry sabato, thanks for your insight as always. still to come in the "newsroom," the candidates made a lot of claims during the debate. what was true and what was false? big day? ah, the usual. moved some new cars. hauled a bunch of steel. kept the supermarket shelves stocked.
7:40 am
made sure everyone got their latest gadgets. what's up for the next shift? ah, nothing much. just keeping the lights on. (laugh) nice. doing the big things that move an economy. see you tomorrow, mac. see you tomorrow, sam. just another day at norfolk southern. if you struggle you're certainly not alone. fortunately, many have found a different kind of medicine that lowers blood sugar. imagine what it would be like to love your numbers.
7:41 am
discover once-daily invokana®. it's the #1 prescribed in the newest class of medicines that work with the kidneys to lower a1c. invokana® is used along with diet and exercise to significantly lower blood sugar in adults with type 2 diabetes. it's a once-daily pill that works around the clock. here's how: the kidneys allow sugar to be absorbed back into the body. invokana® reduces the amount of sugar allowed back in and sends some sugar out through the process of urination. and while it's not for weight loss, it may help you lose weight. invokana® can cause important side effects, including dehydration, which may cause you to feel dizzy, faint, lightheaded, or weak especially when you stand up. other side effects may include kidney problems, genital yeast infections urinary tract infections, changes in urination, high potassium in the blood, or increases in cholesterol.
7:42 am
do not take invokana® if you have severe kidney problems or are on dialysis. stop taking and call your doctor right away if you experience symptoms such as rash, swelling, or difficulty breathing or swallowing. tell your doctor about any medical conditions, medications you are taking, and if you have kidney or liver problems. using invokana® with a sulfonylurea or insulin may increase risk of low blood sugar. it's time. lower your blood sugar with invokana®. imagine loving your numbers. there's only one invokana®. ask your doctor about it by name. you premium like clockwork. month after month. year after year. then one night, you hydroplane into a ditch. yeah... surprise... your insurance company tells you to pay up again.
7:43 am
why pay for insurance if you have to pay even more for using it? if you have liberty mutual deductible fund™, you could pay no deductible at all. sign up to immediately lower your deductible by $100. and keep lowering it $100 annually, until it's gone. then continue to earn that $100 every year. there's no limit to how much you can earn and this savings applies to every vehicle on your policy. call to learn more. switch to liberty mutual and you could save up to $509. call liberty mutual for a free quote today at see car insurance in a whole new light. liberty mutual insurance.
7:44 am
he wanted casino gambling in florida. >> i did not. >> yes, you did. >> totally false. >> you wanted it and you didn't get it because i was opposed to casino gambling before, during and after. >> i promise i would have got it. >> i'm not going to be bought by anyone. >> i promise -- >> oh, strong feelings and even stronger charges. did donald trump try to buy governor bush to win support for casino gambling in florida? former governor of florida bush says, yes. t the donald says no. tom foreman gets in the middle to find out the truth. >> donald trump says he has so much wealth you don't have to worry about him mixing money and politics. in this debate jeb bush said, too late, trump himself has already tried to buy political influence. >> he wanted casino gambling in florida. >> i did not. >> yes, you did. >> totally false. >> you wanted it and you didn't get it because i was opposed to
7:45 am
casino gambling before, during and after. >> i promise, i would have got it. >> i'm not going to be bought by anyone. >> i promise, if i wanted it, i would have got it. >> no way. >> believe me. i know my people. >> not even possible. >> i know my people. >> the fact, trump held a fund-raiser for bush in the late '90s when he was trying to get a casino deal down in florida. bush blocked it. in this case trump was saying something false and bush was saying something true. >> tom foreman reporting, thanks. still to come in the "newsroom," most experts agree the fed will soon raise interest rates. could it happen today? wow. sweet new subaru, huh mitch? yep. you're selling the mitchmobile!? man, we had a lot of good times in this baby. what's your dad want for it? ..like a hundred and fifty grand, two hundred if they want that tape deck. you're not going to tell your dad about the time my hamster had babies in the backseat, are you?! that's just normal wear and tear, dude.
7:46 am
(vo) subaru has the highest resale value of any brand... ...according to kelley blue book ...and mitch. love. it's what makes a subaru, a subaru.
7:47 am
you fifteen percent or more on huh, fiftcar insurance.uld save yeah, everybody knows that. well, did you know that playing cards with kenny rogers gets old pretty fast? ♪ you got to know when to hold'em. ♪ ♪ know when to fold 'em. ♪ know when to walk away. ♪ know when to run. ♪ you never count your money, ♪ when you're sitting at the ta...♪ what? you get it? i get the gist, yeah. geico. fifteen minutes could save you fifteen percent or more on car insurance.
7:48 am
misswill turn anan asphalt parking lot
7:49 am
into a new neighborhood for san franciscans. a vote for "yes" on "d" is definitely a vote for more parks and open space. a vote on proposition "d" is a vote for jobs. campos: no one is being displaced. it's 40% affordable units near the waterfront for regular people. this is just a win-win for our city. i'm behind it 100%. voting yes on "d" is so helpful to so many families in our city.
7:50 am
a massive settlement for general motors. the justice department announced gm will pay $900 million to settle a criminal probe after the automaker admitted it misled the government about faulty ignition switches in its car and delayed the recall to fix the issue. more than 100 people died in crashes linked to those faulty ignitions. it could be the day analysts could be awaiting interest rate on your mortgage loans, car loans to go up. stocks have begun to -- well, not very much, right? >> i say they're frozen. they're frozen because it's a nail-biter. no one knows if the fed is going to raise interest rates today. if it does, it would be the first time in almost ten years. interest rates are zero. anybody who has money in the
7:51 am
bank knows, you are getting nothing for having your money in the bank. that's what it means when interest rates are zero. that's the bad news about zero interest rates. good news, you've had cheap car loans, cheaper mortgages, cheaper variable debt like on credit cards and that was supposed to be good for the economy. will it happen today? will they finally raise interest rates? when they do, loans will be more expensive. if you need to refinance your mortgage, i suggest you do it today. if you're on the fence of buying a home, i suggest you do it today. they don't know if it will happen today or in december maybe. the reason is raising interest rates signals the economy is back to normal. but there's a lot of stuff going on that says it's not quite normal yet. wages aren't rising. china's growth is slowing. there's still some concerns about global growth. will that hold the fed back? we don't know. they're behind closed doors right now. it's a real nail-biter on wall street. it's the one kind of money move, absolutely everyone.
7:52 am
half you have money in the stock market. all of you will be affected by rising interest rates. they're coming f not today, coming soon. >> higher interest rates may mean banks will loosen up and loan more money to people? >> that's a good question. on paper, higher interest rates should mean when you put your money in a bank account, you'll get more interest back. in the near term experts are saying, that's probably not going to happen. the banks are going to raise the interest rates they use to borrow money but not raise lending rates right away. it will beef up their bottom line first -- >> of course. you know how much they've been hurting. >> but eventually, eventually it should mean higher cd rates, certificates of deposit. remember a generation ago you got 14%. >> it's not worth getting a cd now. >> it's not worth the cab fare to go to the bank to do it. eventually, those should start to rise, those interest rates should start to rise. >> i'll believe it when i see it. >> 2:15 eastern time. >> i'm going to set my alarm right now. i'm doing it now. thanks, christine romans,
7:53 am
appreciate it. one of the big twitter questions from our debate coverage. who was that hotty behind jake tapper? i'm serious! (vo) what does the world run on?
7:54 am
it runs on optimism. it's what sparks ideas. moves the world forward. invest with those who see the world as unstoppable. who have the curiosity to look beyond the expected and the conviction to be in it for the long term.
7:55 am
oppenheimerfunds believes that's the right way to invest... ...in this big, bold, beautiful world.
7:56 am
woman: when a student understands a concept for the first time. man: when the students get it. man: their eyes get big, the lightbulb pops on. woman: "i got it, i think i got it!" they light up. it's like magic. woman: this is not just a job. woman: the rewards i get are... priceless. man: we help kids grow, and that's part of the rush of teaching. narrator: the california teachers association. educators who know quality public schools make a better california for all of us.
7:57 am
for people on twitter, last night's breakout star was not on the stage but, rather, right behind jake tapper, the moderator. look at that guy. he's been referred to all night as the #gophottie. one woman quoted, the hottie behind jake tapper makes debates worth watching. he's a film maker, no word on whether he's single. yes, this is a shallow conversation. yes, we're maligning donald trump for commenting on the way people look. we're just trying to keep you up
7:58 am
to date about what's strending online. final numbers are expected to be released in the final hours. cnn is expected to have one of the largest audiences ever for a debate. yes, much of that can be credited to that guy, donald trump. voters curious about what he'll say next in his race for the white house. so, for an early look at the numbers, brian joins me and they're impressive. >> they absolutely are. i can't help but say, look at that face after your moment just now. >> i admit it. i was a hypocrite. >> but it was trending. it was trending. it was very popular. as this debate was overall. in was a three-hour long debate, longer than fox's debate last month. it appears to be the biggest event in cnn history. it looks like upwards of 20 million viewers watched last night. monday night people had 14 million people. "america's got talent" had 11 million viewers. >> vikings played monday.
7:59 am
>> and my eagles lost. but this puts in perspective, we're talking about obviously a political debate. one of the biggest tv shows of the whole year new. bigger than "empire," bigger than "the walker dead," it goes to show donald trump is driving so many viewers to these debates and all the candidates benefit from that. all the candidates get a chance in the spotlight thanks to donald trump. >> it will be interesting to see because a lot of people predict his poll numbers might go down, especially after last night's debate. it will be interesting to see the interest people have if donald trump doesn't take part in these debates. >> i'm curious to see how it does over the three hours. some people thought the first hour was more compelling. they got a little tired as it went on. i think three hours gave more candidates more time to talk. i'm all in favor of hearing more from these candidates. >> and you do work for cnn. >> what do you mean? >> i'm just saying. three hours was great! >> well, the three hours did create more time for commercials as well. this debate looks like it didn't
8:00 am
do quite as well for fox's debate because it went on longer and some viewers may have turned the channel. bottom line, a record for cnn last night. >> i watched pretty much through the whole thing. i struggled through the last hour. >> i think it was impressive that jake tapper was able to sit is there for so many hours and moderate. >> i wonder how many red bulls he drank during the night. thanks so much. appreciate it. thank you for joining me today. i'm carol costello. "at this hour with berman and bo boldaun" starts right now. >> hello, i'm kate bolduan. >> i'm john berman. live in simi valley, california, site of last night's republican presidential debate. there was politics, there was drama. even comedy. maybe a sitcom with the title 11's company. but the stakes were no joke. the cnn

63 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on